Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jewishness

I already have a massive respect for Jews. Maybe mostly cos I really like Jesus. But also cos I dig Jewish history and writing. Its funny how you kinda start to inherit that stuff when you become a Christian. You learn to like Jewish poetry and culture and then you start claiming Jewish promises, too.

I recently finished reading 'Night' by Elie Wiesel. Eliezer was 15 when he went to his first concentration camp in 1944 along with his Father. They were separated from the rest of his family.

The Kaddish is a Jewish prayer for the dead. Many were saying this prayer on their own behalf at these camps.

I couldn't help but wonder exactly what Elie himself was wondering at that time. "Where was God?"
Not that I don't think God was there, but I'm really curious about how God responded to the prayers of those people. Those who were so faithful, yet who don't share a messiah with me. I can't bring myself to say that they weren't 'saved.' But I know they were not Christian and they didn't believe on Jesus.
What will their conversation with God be like at the end of our days?

People dying in the most hopeless circumstances, but still holding onto faith. Trusting in Yaweh but not in Jesus Christ. What does this mean? This is burning in my heart right now.

I hate focusing on the idea of 'who's in and who's out' because I don't think that's really a good approach to life in general, but I just wonder what people think about this. I wonder if I'm a fool for struggling with this. Is it simple? Did they all simply die without a saviour? Or was this the kind of tragedy something Jesus died for?

1 comment:

  1. I don't get all your lingo... but the line "Trusting in Yaweh but not in Jesus Christ. What does this mean?" = from my perspective, aren't all religions believing in the same concept anyway? Cos if they were all different ideas and stuff then surely that would disprove the whole thing? Cos only "one" can be "right"? I might not know enough about religion in general and my opinions probably don't help with what you're trying to ask haha.

    ReplyDelete